As a Data Scientist you will extract and interpret data, which requires both tools and methods from statistics and machine learning. The roll spends a lot of time in the process of collecting, cleaning, and munging data, because data is never clean.
- Identifying the data-analytics problems that offer the greatest opportunities to the organization.
- Determining the correct data sets and variables.
- Collecting large sets of structured and unstructured data from disparate sources.
- Cleaning and validating the data to ensure accuracy, completeness, and uniformity.
- Devising and applying models and algorithms to mine the stores of big data.
- Analyzing the data to identify patterns and trends.
- Interpreting the data to discover solutions and opportunities.